Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Week 10 Not in the mission field


Week 10 – Not in the mission field
 
May 13, Monday

            We arrived at the Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood, FL. at 2 am Monday morning. We waited and waited until 8 pm when the doctor was able to do the surgery. The surgery went well and the doctor was able to replace the head of the femur and attach it to the leg. I left the hospital at 10:30 pm before she came out of the anesthesia. I checked into my motel and about an hour later the nurse called me to tell me all was fine. Joy talked to me and she seemed to be upbeat, but isn't that Joy.
 


Joy in medevac plane

May 14, Tuesday

            Joy was in a two person room and the lady in the bed next to hers had a stoke before she entered the hospital. She was not responding to treatment so the family decided to transfer her to hospice. While they were making arrangements to have her moved, she died. So Joy and I watched the family mourn the loss of their mother and grandmother. The lady’s son was a black preacher and they had been praying for her most of the morning.  Joy shared with them her experience of losing her mother. It was a special time and a very bonding time between two families struggling with adversity. We were both thankful for a comforting Savior and a loving Heavenly Father. 

 May 15, Wednesday

           Joy is doing well. She has been up most of the day setting in a chair. The pain from the surgery is decreasing and she feels stronger almost by the hour. We were a little disappointed that she didn't get moved to the rehab center yet. Our insurance company hasn't authorized it because we are out of our area of coverage. Hopefully they will approve her rehab tomorrow. I have been staying in a motel about one mile from the hospital. I take a bus part way and then walk the other half of the way.  



 

Joy and the flowers her children sent her

May16, Thursday

            Joy waited the whole day to see if she would be moved to the rehab center. After I made a call the church insurance, arrangements were made to transport Joy to the Memorial Regional South Hospital that has a rehab center. She got settled in by 7:30 so I let and walked to my hotel room.
 

Before and After x-rays

May 17, Friday

            I took the bus to the Target Store and bought me a pair of levis and Joy a pair of exercise pants to get her something to ware for her physical therapy. She walked around the gym and returned to the room. My brother, Jerry and his wife, Elaine came at 1 pm and they took me to lunch at the Boston Market restaurant. We then drove over to the new Fort Lauderdale temple and took pictures of the structure. The outside was mostly finished but they were still finishing the interior. We drove back to the hospital and Jerry and Elaine went home. I left the hospital at 6 pm and walked back to the motel.



New Fort Lauderdale Temple

May 18, Saturday

               In the morning, I took the bus to the Hollywood Beach. The beach was beautiful and the sky was a little overcast which made it a little cooler. I swam for a few minutes and then laid on the beach and read a novel for about one hour. I had lunch at a small stand and then returned to the motel. I showered and went over to the Rehab center to see Joy. She was cheerful even though she had three hours of therapy. We played cards and then she talked to the Wegeners and Jody by telephone. In the evening, I rode the bus back to the motel and spent a quiet night reading my novel and watching TV.

 


Joy wishing she had one of the Church wheelchairs

No comments:

Post a Comment